About the Archive
The EUTC Archive is a entirely student-run archive responsible for locating, preserving, and making accessible documents and artifacts relating to the Edinburgh University Theatre Company and beyond. We are the largest and oldest student-run archive in the UK and have materials dating back from the 1960s to the present day.
These are all of our Archive collections. Original Writing is kept by the Library.
These are reading pieces from auditions, signage, and notes taken during the audition proccess. They are uncatalogued so we are unsure how many we have but you can be assured, lots.
Awards & Relics
The 2013 Best Society Oscar, old membership cards, all sorts of physical objects live in this collection. They have no been fully catalogued yet.
We have lots of clothing from past productions and sometimes fringe, they have all been photographed and are [all kept here](https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAcmaJ).
Mostly newsletters though not exclusively. This collection is partially undigitalised physical (late 80s to early 00s) and partially digital (2011 to present).
Complaints and Correspondence
All external correspondence that we have with external individuals and organisations, of which a majority is complaints. Contains highlights such as that time the ECA invaded Bedlam and various disagreements with the EUSA and the University.
Constitutions and Company Documents
This collection is fully digitalised, with [most documents available here](https://wiki.bedlamtheatre.co.uk/history/constitution). These include the:
- 1964 Constitution
- 1965 Constitution
- 1967 Constitution
- 1969 Constitution
- 1979 Constitution
- 1987 Constitution
- 1989 Constitution
- 1994 Constitution
- 1994 Standing Orders
- 2001 Constitution
- 2001 Standing Orders
- 2008 Constitution and Standing Orders
- 2013 Constitution
- 2018 Constitution
- 2019 Constitution
Plans and Diagrams
Plans and diagrams of the Bedlam Theatre. With the help of Ucreate these have mostly been digitalised. These include:
- 1979 Inital plan to renovate the Bedlam Theatre
- 1989 seating renovation plan
- 2008 Workshop and balcony plan
- Redevelopment plans
This is yet to be catalogued but most DVDs are just Fringe press releases
This container has yet to be catalogued, and may be the last thing that every will be, but contains significant financial infomation on the EUTC from very specific years.
This is a collection of Welcome Week materials, mostly programmes
This container has yet to be catalogued out of fear, but consists mostly of post 2013 fringe marketing materials and health & safety documentation.
This is a collection of Fringe programmes of all years from 2013.
These are books and bounded documents that we have, including:
- Edinburgh's Bedlam Theatre
- From Threads in a Tapestry: The Greyfriars Congreations
- 25 years of Bedlam
- Marketing Research Project Spring 1993
- Archives Scrapbook
- Yearbook 2011/2012
- Yearbook 2012-2013
Logs and Certificates
This is a collection of all logs and personal certificates we have, including tool training, lock in attendance, and first aid training.
Every EUTC minute that we have, from 1979 to the present. Minutes to 2008 are all physical, minutes from 2008 are all digital. All physical minutes have now been digitalised after a 3 year project. Per year these are:
- 1979/1980 We have one Minute
- 1980/1981 Considered lost
- 1981/1982 Considered lost, we have one minute
- 1982/1983 Considered lost
- 1983/1984 Considered lost
- 1984/1985 Considered lost
- 1985/1986 Considered lost
- 1986/1987 Considered lost
- 1987/1988 Heavily Incomplete
- 1988/1989 Partially complete, some still existing handwritten
- 1989/1990 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1990/1991 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1991/1992 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1992/1993 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1993/1994 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1994/1995 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1995/1996 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1996/1997 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1997/1998 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1998/1999 Complete on paper as far as they can be
- 1999/2000 We have about 4
- 2000/2001 We have like 5 Minutes
- 2001/2002 We have about 20 minutes
- 2002/2003 Complete on Paper
- 2003/2004 Complete on Paper
- 2004/2005 Complete on Paper
- 2005/2006 Complete on Paper
- 2006/2007 Complete on Paper
- 2007/2008 Complete on Paper
- 2008/2009 Complete on Paper and Digital
- 2009/2010 Considered lost
- 2010/2011 Considered lost
- 2011/2012 Complete Digital
- 2012/2013 Complete Digital
- 2013/2014 Complete Digital
- 2014/2015 Complete Digital
- 2015/2016 Complete Digital
- 2016/2017 Complete Digital
- 2017/2018 Complete Digital
- 2018/2019 Complete Digital
- 2019/2020 Complete Digital
- 2020/2021 Complete Digital
- 2021/2022 Complete Digital
- 2022/2023 Complete Digital
These are effectively just things that have yet to be absorbed into other collections, including the '03/04 Assorted Documents Folder' and the '04/05 Archive Attempt Folder'.
Newspapers and Reviews
A collections of newspapers cuttings, full newspapers, and printed out reviews. Uncatalogued as of yet.
Everything that doesn't fit into other categories. Uncatalogued.
This is mostly just cast awards, though the occasional personal message ends up in our collection.
These are in progress of being fully catalogued. Over 500 physical photos and 10,000 digital ones in various states of archived.
These are in progress of being fully catalogued. All A3 posters are in plastic wallets and in display folders, however the A2, A1, and A0 posters are proving more difficult to display. Digitialisation efforts incoming.
All proposals post 2013 are kept digitally on the Proposal Archive on this website. Pre-2013 all remaining forms have been archived though yet to be catalogued or digitalised.
[Go here to see the Productions Archive.](/archives/events)
These are in progress of being fully catalogued. Physical publicity from 1982 to the present day.
TMQs and more, these are all Archived in individual folders though yet to be catalogued.
[Go here to see recorded productions](/events?q[event_tags_id_eq]=20). If you cannot see a recording you may need to log in for copyright reasons. We also have a youtube channel here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzBSEEZGTBe2eXp_cDuOuWA)
Reports and Manuals
These are all manuals and reports from various roles. [End-of-year reports can be found here from 2011](https://wiki.bedlamtheatre.co.uk/committee/secretary/minutes). Manuals and guides are also kept here, excluding the theatre manager manuals kept in Theatre Documentation Collection. The manuals are:
- Mainterms Convenor Manual
- Front of House Manager Manual
- How to cash up
Save the Bedlam / FoB
This partialy digital and physical collection includes all specific documents on Save the Bedlam & FoB, from the [Old Kirk Visit](/workshops/oldkirk)
As yet uncatalogued, all set specific documents go here from set drawings to tool training leaflets.
The Scottish Student Drama Festival (SSDF) ran from '82 to '93 with various levels of success. We have an significant number of physical documents relating to our involvement for the first 10 years and [go here for our digital infomation on this festival](https://wiki.bedlamtheatre.co.uk/shows/ssdf)
The Theatre Assistant Subcommittee was created in the 1970s by Dr Roger Savage and companion to seek a redevelopment of the Old Chapleincy (The Bedlam Theatre) into the Guthrie Theatre. [Read more here](https://wiki.bedlamtheatre.co.uk/history/tasc). We have a small collection of physical documents provided by Dr Roger Savage himself, and a larger collection of digitailised documents from the CRC and beyond due to various research attempts such as 25 years of Bedlam.
As yet uncatalogued, all tech specific documents go here from rig plans to hazer reprogramming instructions.
The Kitchen Papers
In July 2011 during Fringe build they refurbished the Kitchen, and in doing so discovered a large collection of 1960s documents from when the building was the Chapliency. Archived but yet Uncatalogued.
The largest collection and yet one often withdrawn, theatre documentation encompasses all from the original building warrant to the theatre manager manuals to many many risk assements. Uncatalogued but still recalled on by the Theatre Manager very frequently as how these things are.
A small collection showing physical examples of tickets over the years. Uncatalogued.
Physical voting records from 2016 til the present day. Of course for the most part the EUTC in 2018 went digital in voting so this collection is reasonably small.
These are the definition of some words used:
- This means that the documents in the collection are known and kept in specific place. This will hopefully be individual plastic wallets in the future, but may be just a folder for the time being.
- This refers to taking an inventory of what a collection contains. Usually done alongside Digitalisation.
- This is the laborious, misunderstood, and long process of digitally scanning documents for digital storage. This is done for convenience, backup, and public accessibility.
The EUTC Archive is home at the Bedlam Theatre and can be visited on an appointment basis. We maintain a large physical archive with digital resources that can be accessed on site. There are very few restrictions for appointments but we ask for you submit what you wish to view before arriving as it allows us to conduct a Data Protection review to see if you will be able to access your requested collection.