The Albert Hall is variously described as being at the west end of Princess Street or in Shandwick Place.
It flourished in the late 19th century and seems mostly to have put on variety shows - though a diorama was shown there and exhibitions of sundry kinds. It had a succession of lease-holders.
In 1890 it was upgraded and redecorated - the Edinburgh Evening News (14 October 1890) stating that the proscenium arch had been brought forward thirteen and a half feet. The reporter also referred to a gallery as if this was new.
In the early part of the twentieth century it seems to have been turned into low-standard accommodation for the poor.